As a teenager I had bad skin. I tried most face washes on offer in the shops and also had a prescription for antibiotics and spot cream from the doctor. When I was 16/17 I went on the contraceptive pill.
The contraceptive pill reduced the number of spots I would get but didn’t stop them completely and I would have a lot red marks and uneven skin surface left behind where the spots had been. These red marks/scars actually upset me more than the spots because they would look like I had more spots than I actually did.
At 21/22 I came off of the pill and had the contraceptive implant put in my arm. Now after nearly 2 years my skin is pretty clear, I still get one or two spots around that time of the month but they don’t seem to last as long as they used to.
I have found a few products and developed a skin-care routine that I think is working. I find that if I miss a night of my routine I will develop a few spots over the next day which makes me think that the products I am using are preventing spots.
My morning routine
- Nip+Fab: Glycolic Cleansing Fix (£7.95 @ Superdrug).
- Super Facialist: Salicylic Acid Anti Blemish Clear & Correct Serum (£16.99 @ Boots).
- La Roche-Posay: Effaclar Duo+ (£16 @ Boots).
- (I’ve read amazing things about this moisturiser – specifically for spot-prone skin and great for getting rid of red marks left behind after spots apparently)
- I used to avoid moisturising because I thought it would make my oily skin worse, but I have read that moisturising can actually reduce oiliness because your skin doesn’t have to make as much oil if it is moisturised.
My evening routine
- Simple: Cleansing Wipes.
- Nip+Fab: Glycolic Cleansing Fix.
- Murad: Clarifying Toner (£16.55 @ Feel Unique).
- La Roche-Posay: Effaclar Duo+.
My weekly routine
Twice a week:
- Nip+Fab: Glycolic Scrub Fix (£9.95 @ Superdrug).
- Followed by Super Facialist: Salicylic Acid Anti Blemish Clay Mask (£9.99 @ Boots).
Once a week on a make-up free day:
- After cleansing with Nip+Fab Cleansing Fix; The Ordinary: Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalene (£11.90 @ Feel Unique).
Key Ingredients I look for in my skin products:
- Retinoids: unclogs pores and stimulates cell turnover to improve skin discolouration and uneven skin surface
- Salicyclic Acid: exfoliates, removes dead skin cells and dirt which cause spots
- Glycolic Acid: exfoliates, removes dead skin cells and dirt which cause spots